Friday, May 17, 2013

Revelation 3:20

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

From Background Notes [BN] for May 18th & 19th written by Pastor Bob Brown:

This is the voice of invitation that begins in deep love for the lives on the other side of the door, not unlike the profound love Jesus had for all sorts of people on the other side of the road. “Hear my voice” isn’t just a descriptive phrase in this text; it is a performative one.



Through his voice Jesus gathers together the community of faith, calling them out from behind the door that is locked on the inside until they grant him entrance. They are called to community, expressed here through the image of table fellowship. The Voice isn’t just about speaking; it’s about coming, arriving, and living. “Open the door.” Though the initiative of the Voice belongs to Jesus, the response belongs to us. “Open the door.”  [BN, 9]

Join us this week in Study, Worship, Praise and Celebration at Chicago First Church of the Nazarene:

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 8:30am & 11:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment