Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Luke 12:16-18

And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’ “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do…”

From Background Notes [BN] for January 19th & 20th written by Pastor Bob Brown:

There is no evidence the man sought the advice of others, instead he functions as a self-sufficient decision-maker with a high degree of confidence in his own abilities to shape the future.


 
Count the number of times he uses the word “I” in this passage: “What shall I do?” “I have no place…” “This is what I will do.” “I will tear down my barns…” “I will build …” “I will store…” “I will say to myself…” Self-absorbed, he displays nothing but self-indulgence when he talks about his future. “Eat, drink, and be merry” is his code of ethics. Wealth and its use are the central themes of his life.  [BN, 4]

Join us this week in Study, Worship, Praise and Celebration at Chicago First Church of the Nazarene:

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 8:30am & 11:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment