Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Daniel 4:4-5

I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at home in my palace, contented and prosperous. I had a dream that made me afraid. As I was lying in bed, the images and visions that passed through my mind terrified me.

From Background Notes [BN] for February 2nd & 3rd written by Pastor Bob Brown:

But Daniel doesn’t just offer the interpretation of the dream as a mere insight, to comply with the request of the king. He refers to his words as “the decree of the Most High that has come upon my lord the king” (4:24).


Quite directly, he tells Nebuchadnezzar that he will “be driven away from human society” and become like “wild animals.” Why is this happening to the king? Daniel says the king needs to “learn” something about power and how it should be used. After all, the king is not the real sovereign. He is not ultimately in control of nations. Instead, the king must learn “that the Most High has sovereignty over the kingdom of mortals and give it to whom he will” (4:25). God is suspending the king’s rule for a time so that He might “re-establish it” after the king learns that “Heaven is sovereign” (4:26).  [BN, 1]

Join us this week in Study, Worship, Praise and Celebration at Chicago First Church of the Nazarene:

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 8:30am & 11:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment