Monday, June 2, 2014

John 8:28

So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me."

From Background Notes [BN] for June 7th & 8th written by Pastor Bob Brown:

In other words, the answer to the question, “Who am I?” for Jesus, rests with his relationship to God as his Father. He does not label himself (“I do nothing on my own”), but allows God to give him his identity (“he has not left me alone”).



The words “I am he” in the Greek text lack the word “he” and has simply “I am” (egō eimi), a statement Jesus makes later in 8:58:

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" (John 8:58).

What we take away from this passage is the encouraging word that God gives us our identity if God is our Father, and we are his children. [BN,2-3]

Join us this week in Study, Worship, Praise and Celebration at Chicago First Church of the Nazarene:

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 8:30am & 11:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment