Sunday, December 4, 2011

John 8:58

"Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

From Background Notes [BN] for December 3rd/4th written by Pastor Bob Brown:

The Greek phrase, egō eimi, echoes God’s words to Moses. Jesus is the “I am” in his incarnation. From eternity, the Son of God existed with the Father in the glory.


Becoming human as Jesus of Nazareth, the Son fulfills the implied meaning of God as “I am.” Throughout the Gospel of John, a series of “I am” statements unpack the meaning of the incarnation by putting concrete form on the framework of the simple “I am” affirmation. When we say the words “I am,” we want to say more! It’s like having a subject with a partial predicate, “I am _____,” and the need to fill in the blank! We long to put something in that space. What Jesus does throughout the gospel of John is do just that: he spins off a series of fresh names, all of them rooted in the ancient formula announcing that God has come near to rescue and to fulfill the needs of His people..[BN,9]

Join us this week in Worship at
ChicagoFirstChurch of the Nazarene

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 8:30am & 11:00am, 5:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment