Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

From Move the Stone [MtS] written by Pastor Brian Wangler:

I wish this was unfamiliar territory to me, but it isn’t.  All too often over the years, in the hard places between “here” and “there” I have felt leadership ground give way, energy drain and my attitude sink.  Usually, as a leader there are plenty of spectators for the event making it a nasty place to be.



Essentially what Dr. Cloud stated was when difficulty hits, the leader begins to take everything personally.  “It’s not just my work; it’s me that’s bad.  I’m not only failing at this particular task or moment; I’m a failure.  I’ve lost whatever leadership credibility I had. People aren’t just unhappy with my leadership, they’re unhappy with me.”

Then it becomes pervasive; “It’s not just a few clients, it’s all of them.  It’s not just work, it’s my family, my home.  It’s not just now.  I’ve never been much of a leader.”  Finally, the quicksand of discouragement pulls us down until we believe our condition is permanent.  “Things are never going to change. There is no way back.  There is no way out.” 

Read more here.

Join us this week in Study, Worship, Praise and Celebration at Chicago First Church of the Nazarene:

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 8:30am & 11:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment