Monday, August 24, 2015

Romans 7:22-23

For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.

From Background Notes [BN] for Aug 29th & 30th written by Pastor Bob Brown:

In 1973 the psychiatrist Dr. Karl Menninger wrote a book entitled Whatever Became of Sin? He lamented society’s rejection of a divine standard of right and wrong.



His take on sin was not merely sociological but was instead the theological idea that sin is the willful rebellion against the standards of God. This was not nostalgia, longing for the good old days when right was right and wrong was wrong. Rather Menninger threw down the gauntlet by telling preachers: “Preach! Tell it like it is. Say it from the pulpit. Cry it from the housetops.” He continued, “Cry comfort, cry repentance, cry hope. Because recognition of our part in the world transgression is the only remaining hope.” I remind us that the good doctor spoke from his experience in a profession that truly wanted to make human life better for persons in deep distress. [BN,1]

Join us this week in Worship, Praise and Celebration at C1:

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 9am & 10:30am

No comments:

Post a Comment