Thursday, October 4, 2012

Haggai 2:23

“‘On that day,’ declares the LORD Almighty, ‘I will take you, my servant Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will make you like my signet ring, for I have chosen you,’ declares the LORD Almighty.”

From Background Notes [BN] for October 6th & 7th written by Pastor Bob Brown:


Because Zerubbabel showed himself as a servant for the Lord’s building project, God reaches out and takes hold of him with sovereign love and promises him something new.



He says to him, “I will make you the equivalent of a signet ring.” In Hebrew, the word is hôthām, a term which means “an engraved seal,” usually a roll or cylinder imprinted with both a picture and a name. It could be worn around the neck, the arm, or as a ring on a person’s right hand (see Genesis 41:42; Esther 3:10; Jeremiah 22:24). From the standpoint of appearance, this ring was a thing of beauty, but also implied something cherished — a precious jewel. [BN, 9]

Join us this week in Study, Worship, Praise and Celebration at Chicago First Church of the Nazarene:

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 8:30am & 11:00am, 5:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment