Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Judges 6:8b-10

“This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: I brought you up out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. I rescued you from the hand of the Egyptians. And I delivered you from the hand of all your oppressors; I drove them out before you and gave you their land. I said to you, ‘I am the LORD your God; do not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you live.’ But you have not listened to me.”

From Background Notes [BN] for February 9th & 10th written by Pastor Bob Brown:

Fading into darkness, Israel is in need of light from the Word of God, and that is why the prophet is sent. What the prophet tells Israel takes the form of a covenant lawsuit:

 
1.     Yahweh identifies Himself as the Speaker: “Yahweh the God of Israel;” “I am Yahweh Your God” (6:8a, 10a)

2.     Yahweh rehearses the history of His covenant faithfulness to Israel’s ancestors by rescuing them from Egypt and all Israel’s oppressors; by driving out the previous inhabitants of Canaan; by giving Israel Canaan as their land (6:8b-9).

3.     Yahweh re-iterates His command not to worship the gods of Canaan (6:10b).

4.     Yahweh charges Israel with failing to keep the commandment (6:10c). [BN, 4]
 

Join us this week in Study, Worship, Praise and Celebration at Chicago First Church of the Nazarene:

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 8:30am & 11:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment