Monday, August 12, 2013

John 21:17

The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”  Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

From Background Notes [BN] for August 17th & 18th written by Pastor Bob Brown:

By taking the initiative, Jesus proves his own agapē love for Peter, though he addresses him as “Simon” and not as “Peter” in each case.  He is saying, “Simon, I accept you where you are and as you are.

If this is as far as your story with me goes, so be it.  I am willing to take you to a deeper place in our relationship, even to the point of entrusting you with significant leadership among my people.  It’s up to you whether you will remain as Simon or prove yourself to be Peter.”  [BN,3]
Join us this week in Study, Worship, Praise and Celebration at Chicago First Church of the Nazarene:

* Saturday 6:00pm
* Sunday 8:30am & 11:00am, 5:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment